PrintNinja - online printing made easy for creators
Our customer service team has helped deliver more than seven million pieces to happy customers around the world. Lean more about that team and quote your printing project today!
PrintNinja recommends keeping the following guidelines in mind when you design a jigsaw puzzle.
Jigsaw puzzles are an enjoyable pastime for children and adults alike to test their ability to understand context clues using mere fragments of color. In the old days, jigsaw puzzles were created by painting directly onto a flat wooden board and then cutting that board into interlocking pieces with a jigsaw. Nowadays, however, puzzles are manufactured by glueing or laminating large image prints to sturdy greyboard that is then die-cut to create those same interlocking pieces. The pieces are usually packaged together in a plastic bag that is placed inside of a large cardboard box with the completed image printed on the front for reference. The difficulty of a puzzle tends to increase dramatically with the number of pieces, as well as the intricacy of the image, so leave the 1000 piece sets to the adults – something to keep in mind when you design a jigsaw puzzle.
Jigsaw Puzzle Standards
- Size: Contingent on puzzle piece number
- Material: 1.5mm greyboard
- Finish: Matte linen or matte lamination finish
- 100 Piece Size: 16.14″ x 10.83″
- 200 Piece Size: 16.14″ x 10.83″
- 500 Piece Size: 19.29″ x 14.17″
- 1000 Piece Size: 28.94″ x 20.08″
- Size: Contingent on puzzle size
- Material: 1.5mm paperboard or cardboard
- Finish: Matte linen or gloss lamination finish
- Size: Contingent on number of pieces
- Material: Clear plastic